Thursday, July 15, 2010

Feet that are Making a Leap

This is absolutely only important to me, but I had to document it before I forget to write it down, or write it on a post-it only to lose my post-it later in the day. I feel like we're making progress. By "we" I mean Micayla. I bought Micayla tennis shoes from Target last summer, size 3. She's loved them and wears them often. She especially likes to wear them without socks. I noticed a few months back that they were starting to bring out the "new" tennis shoes for the year, so I went ahead and bought a pair of size 4's for her, thinking, of course, that we would migrate to size 4's in the not too distant future. The shoes were getting a little snug on her foot, but still fit. I tried the 4's on around Easter and they were so big that she couldn't keep them on. I figured we'd give it another month or so. To date, they are still in their box on her dresser. I had also purchased for her a pair of white sandals, because she needed something else to wear to church beside tennis shoes and white sandals and little girls just make me smile. So I bought her size 3's in the spring when she first began wearing them. Her little toes don't hang off the edge quite yet, but they are oh-so-close. So today, July 15th, we bought a pair of size 4 white sandals for her to wear. She was so excited to hold them at Target this morning. So I believe that her feet might be "making a leap" (a very small one though) to the next size up. While none of you find this remotely exciting, for this momma, it means one thing. She's growing! After all of her non-eating ways, and lack of gaining weight for so long, I feel like we are making some progress now.

Granted, I've read several blogs lately about kiddos who weigh upwards of 25 lbs and wear size 5 or 6 shoes and who are younger (by several months) than Micayla, but for us, this is somewhat monumental. On the other hand, we have now worn all of our 12 month clothing from last summer throughout this summer, and still have a few 12 mo clothing pieces that are just too big for her. I have no idea what she weighs, but I'm going to guess around 22 lbs (maybe)...we go for her two year (how can that be?!!!!) checkup in late August, so it will be interesting to see how much she weighs/how tall, etc. Right now, most of her friends that are around the same age tower over her. I worked in the nursery last week at church with the 13-15 mo olds and they all had bigger feet than Micayla, I'm sure. But for now, I'm taking in the small victories of her increasing stature, and remembering that while she might be behind in size, she makes up for it in verbal skills. :)

3 comments:

Haley said...

Eva was the same way. Always little... still is, although she did catch up a little this year in height and foot size. And then I have Eli, who weighed 22 lbs by the time he was 9 months old. It's amazing how kids can be so different even ones who have the same gene pool!

Hooray for growth!!!

petro family said...

Treasures sometimes come in small packages. Thank you for sharing this! Every child is different and all growth is worth celebrating!! She is such a little doll. I love your blog and miss you guys.

Laura said...

Yeah!! That's wonderful news. Sadie is on the small side too, so I can relate. She still under 20 lbs so we have to keep her in a rear-facing car seat. And she is still wearing 9-12 mo clothes, even though she is going on 14 mos. I have some really cute 18 mo. dresses that I hoped she'd wear this summer, but it might be too cold by the time they fit her.