Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Easter

Easter was a great day of celebration for our family! Normally, we tend to use Easter weekend as a time to drive to see Hudson's parents since Hudson doesn't work on Good Friday. This year, though, we had driven to see Hudson's parents and visit the ranch the last half of Spring Break week, so we were going to stay home for Easter. In the almost 7 years we've lived here in H-town, we've not once attended Easter services at our church because we've been on the road. Hudson also was able to knock out a good portion of a big paper he had due for school on Easter weekend, so Micayla and I took time to play outside, dyed eggs, made Resurrection cookies, and had Easter egg hunts. We also got to have Easter lunch with two families that also don't have family nearby, so that was great too.

We got all dressed up (I'm still a Southern girl who believes that a new Easter dress is just part of the tradition), took a few pictures, then enjoyed worshipping with our church family that morning before heading out for lunch. I made a crock-pot pork tenderloin (it was great) and Italian Cream Cake from Pioneer Woman's new cookbook (a gift from my dear small group girls). I didn't take pictures of those, but they were great.

So a funny story about the Resurrection cookies...I was so excited to try them this year because I thought Micayla might be able to pick up on some of the story since she had been studying about Easter at church and at school. She could tell me that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, and that He rose again on the 3rd day. So we started making the cookies--Hudson would read the Scripture that went with every step of making the cookies. I had Micayla smell the vinegar and told her that it tasted bad by itself--I asked her what she thought of the smell and she replied, "I think it smells good." Oh dear... Then we went to taste the salt and she thought that tasted good as well. I let her taste the sugar at the end, and she thought that tasted bad. I'm afraid that my attempt at Resurecction cookies being a good teaching lesson for her was failed. She also thought the cookies themselves tasted bad, so I'm not sure what to think about that experience.

Here's a few pictures from our Easter weekend!

Waiting to dye eggs!

She found one!

Yes, this girl knows how to pose when she wants to. :)

With her "best Daddy ever" as she likes to call him.



No comments: