So I headed to the local Wal-mart this a.m., mainly because I'm cheap and the formula we use is slightly cheaper than at my favorite store. And as I was making Micayla's bottle last evening, I recognized that, in fact, the box of formula I was using was the last one we had, contrary to my belief that there was still one more in the pantry. So, feeding the baby necessitated a trip out this morning. (And since she still abhors anything that resembles solid food yet, we can't really go without it.) So, both girls got dressed and ready to go. (We also had one other errand to James Avery, but that will have to have a separate post.)
So, we got to the Wal-mart, and I parked close to a buggy corral (is that what they are called?) so that I could grab a buggy and put Micayla's buggy protector seat in it before loading her into the buggy. I, of course, got the buggy that required my arms to continually pull it to the left so that it wouldn't begin making circles to the right...and I didn't realize this fact until I was well on my way from the parking lot to the store. Oh well, at least my arms got a good workout trying to corral the buggy into going in a straight line. I think some shoppers behind me believed I'd had a little too much to drink the way I was swerving. (Side note: if you know me, you know I don't drink at all, unless it is water, Dr. Pepper, or sweet tea, so my appearing that I'd maybe had too much to drink would actually be induced by too much sugar.)
Back to the real post. I had my list, Micayla was happily chewing on the strap that attaches her to her buggy protector (for real, what are those things called?), and we were off. I'm preparing a meal for a girl in our SS class who recently had her third baby, so I had to pick up a few ingredients along the way to the formula. Because Wal-mart isn't my favorite place in the world, and especially the one I went to this morning (it's always crowded), and I was trying to fight the buggy into actually going the direction I wanted it to go in, I decided to grab the formula first. Now, I've bought formula enough times in the last 7 1/2 months to know where it is in various stores: Target, it's on the same aisle as the diapers and baby food, not in the grocery section, but real close; Sam's, it's on the same aisle as the diapers and soap; and Wal-mart, it's on the same aisle as the diapers (is there a theme here?) and at the very back of the store. So, I happily made my way through the thousands of people towards the back of the store to pick up the formula. And when I arrived at my chosen destination, I saw all kinds of liquid formula, but none of the powdered variety that we use. What? Did someone believe that formula was going to stop being made? Did our town have a decomom (um, that would be a mom with 10 babies) that no one knew about? Where could the powdered formula be? And then I saw a sign.
Powdered formula is available at Register 19.
Why on earth did they move the powdered formula to Register 19? What is so special about Register 19 that formula had to be moved there? So, the plans of picking up the formula first were scratched and I headed to get the 10 items that I needed in the grocery section. And then I had to go the housewares section because the Iced Tea Maker that we received 8 years ago as a wedding gift bit the dust yesterday. And, as mentioned above, we drink sweet tea in our house, and yes, I can make it the old fashioned way, but no, I don't want to. (And on a side note, the new one I purchased was $15.00..so score for the Wal-mart's low price on that one.)
I digress, again. So I headed to Register 19, with a child who is becoming just the slightest bit cranky, because it was nearing her lunch time. Now, Register 19 is not one of the self-checkouts that I prefer to use (because really, I can scan and bag and pay it faster than the regular registers.) I think it might have said "express" but who really counts their items before they get into an express lane (well, I confess, I do, and I will change lanes if I have 21 items and it says "20 items or less", but I'm not sure that anyone else does.) (I'm rambling today...I haven't had much adult communication lately and that's what I'm going to blame this on.) So, there I am, in line at Register 19, with no formula in sight. This is getting ridiculous. I just need formula people (well, and the iced tea maker)! My baby is hungry (cue Micayla's not quite screams, but certainly not happy sounds)! Where is the formula?
And then I see it. Lined up perfectly in a row...Similac, Enfamil, Wal-mart brand. Powdered formula. Sitting right next to your choice of cigarettes. What? Why on earth is the formula now kept next to the cigarettes?
So I asked the kind lady for a box of the formula we use, and you would think I was going to have to show my ID in order to purchase it (is the unhappy child not enough?). She got it for me, I placed my other items on the conveyor belt, and casually asked, "why was the powdered formula moved from the other formula?" She then said that the powdered formula had always been kept on Register 19, next to the cigarettes. Now, I realize that I don't sleep as well as I used to (picture sweet baby as reason), but I also know that I have walked into this Wal-mart, gone to the back and picked up formula. I kindly responded that I had, in fact, gotten the powdered formula in the back of the store just several weeks ago, and was just curious why it had been moved. She said that it was never kept back there, but always up here (Register 19), and that I must have seen it at a different Wal-mart. Because this Wal-mart has always had it on Register 19. Now people, if I can remember client sessions from over 2 months ago (and be able to write case notes about it), I can remember where I purchased my formula from, and it has never been on Register 19. (I only said this in my head, so don't worry that I was about to create a scene at Wal-mart.) So, there I was, appearing that I needed to purchase cigarettes (I have always avoided that aisle, btw), but in reality, just needing some formula. End of story. (Except that I might not buy formula at that Wal-mart again, because frankly, I don't want to have to ask for it. I want to go and get it myself. Cue Target's jingle here.)
I hope you liked my very un-eventful tale of finding formula with the cigarettes. I have a suspicion, that like cigarettes, formula has become a frequently shoplifted item at the Wal-mart, which necessitated the move to Register 19, but that's just my suspicion. I have no proof. (Except in my mind.) :)
On a completely different side note, I saw this video on another blog, and it was just a good reminder of how fast our babies grow up. Speaking of, mine just woke up from her 30-minute nap (what happened to the 2 hour nap that she was supposed to take?), so I should go and check on her. Hope you like it!
3 comments:
Hilarious!!! It's like the secret conspiracy to make you think that you've always bought it at register 19. How strange! Glad you found it before Sweet Mikayla turned into hungry Mikayla. (I, on the other hand, had to leave a store today because of the fit that my "sweet" child threw.) :)
Oh and I love that song! It makes me cry a little... or a lot, depending on the hormones. :)
P.S. All the more reason to just shop at Target. Can I get an AMEN!?!?!?
Leann, this is hilarious! I agree with your assumption about the formula being shoplifted - it is an expensive, yet necessary item. Your blog is great. Miss you guys! :)
I can only assume that you are right about the shoplifting of the formula, but really - those containers are quite large. Seems like you would have to have a pretty big bag to lift that kind of product. Obviously, I am quite dumb to the shoplifting scene! Oh, and thanks for the laugh. Love you girl!
Oh, and as a side note - our local grocery store also houses the formula beside the cigs.
Post a Comment