Friday, August 27, 2010

A New {to us} Toy!

Hudson and I have had this dream for a long time. We've wanted to have a way for our family to enjoy the great outdoors through camping. Except that tent camping with a toddler and a dog isn't exactly practical or fun. Tent camping in Texas isn't the most fun (unless it is fall, and in the 70's, which doesn't happen often for us Houstonians.) So, we've tried to save a little bit of money to purchase an RV. I grew up RV camping--my family went almost every weekend to the lake and camped and skiied and enjoyed the great J.P. Coleman State Park in Mississippi. Hudson and I have also talked about during our retirement years, travelling in an RV/motorhome and working with small churches throughout the country. Now, we're a long way from retirement, but something else came our way very recently.

My dad and his wife recently purchased a motorhome to do their camping in (can you really call it camping if it has a dishwasher, ceiling fans, 5 tv's, washer/dryer?). Apparently, he had made the decision a while ago to give us his old camper. Enter a 1979, 33 foot, Silver Streak travel trailer. I have so many fond memories of camping with sisters and parents in the Silver Streak (we never did give it a nickname, I don't think). The 5 of us, plus our dog, lived in it for 14-15 weeks when I was in the 7th grade while our house was being remodeled. My sisters and I slept on the floor in that camper more times than I can count.

So, last weekend, Dad and Glenda made the trek from TN to TX, bringing us the camper. We've already got a few camping weekends planned in our future and I don't know who is more excited, us or Micayla. She asks everyday if Daddy has the camper or we are going to go to the camper. Our inaugural camping trip should be fun with her excitement added to the mix. I didn't take any inside pictures, but I will! Here's a few of the camper being delivered to us, and our taking it to a storage place not too far from our house. You'll know if it is us pulling into a campground. :) Thanks Dad for a wonderful gift!

PS. More posts coming up real soon, since someone I know is turning the big "2" on Sunday and we have a weekend of fun planned for her. And maybe a few tears for Mommy.



Hudson, me, and my Dad


Pulling out of the driveway for the first time!


On our way to the storage place until we can really go camping!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

How exciting!! I knew as soon as I started reading this post what it was. :) And how generous of your dad to give your family the old RV. Enjoy!!

Barb said...

I can't wait to hear about your adventures in that camper. And I can't believe Micayla is turning 2! I haven't seen her since she was like 2 weeks old - we need to fix that.