1. I was still alseep this morning at 6:45 am. Micayla was not awake yet. Hudson was up and getting ready for work. I jumped out of the bed this morning right after 6:45 am because our alarm system started going off. You know how when you are in a deep sleep and then a loud noise like a persistent, loud alarm is going off and you can't really place where you are, where your glasses are, what time it is, what day it is, etc? Okay, that happened this morning. Our alarm system went off the other night while we were out doing an errand, but apparently it just had a glitch in the system, so the police weren't called (on our okay). So, we haven't been setting the alarm at night because it needed to be fixed. So, Hudson runs upstairs (the actual horn is in the attic) and tells me that the power went off but I can barely hear him over the loud alarm. We try punching in our code to no avail. I turn on my cell phone because the alarm company is likely going to call and with the power out, they won't reach us at our home number. Hudson is getting more frustrated because nothing is turning it off. He tries unplugging the horn in the attic. (Mind you, he's already dressed for work and the power is out.) Frantic searches for flashlights are carried out. I, still somewhat unaware of why the alarm is now going off when the power is not on at all, am trying to clear my fogginess to figure out a way to get this thing to turn off. Hudson tries to unplug the battery from the wall in the alarm system unit. The alarm is still.going. Finally, someone who shall remain nameless begins to pull every wire out of the box of the alarm system for it to go off. When remnants of our alarm system are now all over my closet, it becomes apparent that we are not going to be able to shut this thing off. The wireless part of our system is now removed from the wall and seemingly destroyed. Let's just say that one of us was able to get a lot of frustration out this morning. The ladder is brought upstairs as a last resort. Hudson removes the smoke detector from our room and off.the.alarm.goes. Micayla? Still asleep. (Her room is right across from ours so I don't have a clue how she slept through all of that.) Alarm system? Destroyed. Going to be an expensive mistake to fix. I have no idea what the spiritual lesson is to be learned from this, but I'm sure there is one there.
2. I made the mistake of telling Micayla that we have a chance for snow on Friday. "LIKE 1-3 INCHES! THIS ARTIC COLD BLAST WILL BE COLD! WATCH FOR OUR BREAKING NEWS ON THE LATEST SNOWFALL WHEN AND WHERE IT HITS!" When you live in a metro city like ours, and an hour north of our home is still considered Houston, they could get 1/2 inch of snow Friday morning while we get nothing. But she has been looking out the window all morning asking when the snow is going to come. I've had to tell her that it might not come, but if it does, we'll go out in it. She tells me she wants to build "frosty." I tell her that we'll do it if we can. If we don't get snow, I might have the most disappointed 2 year old around.
3. With the rolling blackouts this morning, and the ARTIC COLD BLAST: SNOW IS COMING alarm on the tv this morning, I decided we should join everyone else in their latest quest for acquiring milk and bread, because apparently, if it snows, this is what you need. And, if timing isn't everything, I'm scheduled to host our Ladies Night Out for our SS class tomorrow evening. So, not knowing what the weather will hold, I decided to get my other few things for the gathering tomorrow evening. Hudson had an orthodontist appointment around noon, so I suggested that we meet for lunch because we don't get to do that often. I got our minivan filled with gas (why is there the need for having a full tank of gas if you know you are going to be snowed in?), went to the bank and had a long conversation in the drive thru with the bank lady about where my latest debit card is (apparently, in the mail, despite the fact that my current one is now expired), and about that time Hudson called to tell me he was done. So, I had noticed that we just had a Five Guys open here in P-town, so we met there, only to be disappointed in the fact that they were closed due to the rolling blackouts. So, Panera isn't too far and we went there and had a nice bowl of soup together. Micayla, of course, refused to eat her grilled cheese (who doesn't like grilled cheese?) but happily drank her apple juice and ate most of a baguette. We headed to Target afterwards and got the necessities: milk, creamer for Hudson's coffee, diapers (sure glad I didn't forget those), and artichoke hearts. An exciting list to be sure. Micayla fell asleep on the way home and she's still asleep in her bed upstairs, hence the reason I can actually write a post today.
4. I just heard Francesca Battistelli's "This is the Stuff You Use" song and I had to laugh (and agree).
I also love Mandisa's new song "Stronger"--Micayla and I can really dance to this one!
5. We've had lots of good meals this week: Italian chicken and rice, homemade chicken tortilla soup, homemade chicken pot pie, and I made my mom's homemade chocolate pie as well. Hudson said that it was some of the best chocolate pie he's ever had (and I've made it before, so that must be saying something.)
6. I'm making chocolate cake balls, russian tea, hot artichoke dip, and coffee for tomorrow night's LNO. I also have a few things planned for those that come, and I can't wait. Unfortunately, I just read that Micayla's playschool tomorrow might be cancelled due to the impending BREAKING NEWS: WE HAVE ONE SNOW FLURRY IN THE HOUSTON AREA!, which means my hopes of deep cleaning my house tomorrow while she is at school is not looking very promising. However, I did clean all the outside of my kitchen cabinets before I started posting on the computer, so at least I got one thing done.
7. I just decided I should stop posting and instead, get busy cleaning my house while she is asleep, plus it will keep me warm since it is 62 degrees inside my house right now.
8. I'm procrastinating now, because the couch is awfully comfortable.
9. I'm hoping Hudson comes home soon because that fireplace needs to be lit again.
10. Fine, I'll get up. (Self-motivation can work sometimes!)
1 comment:
That is too funny! I remember thinking all the winter weather dramatics from the weathermen were just a TX thing, but this year we've had "BLIZZARD 2011". They have cut out the today show to monitor THE BLIZZARD!!! So, now i know that all weather men are dramatic by nature. It's what makes them good at what they do... and it's also what makes every resident in their viewing area feel the need to buy the stores out of milk, bread, and gasoline. :)
Post a Comment