Monday, March 19, 2012

Going Under the Knife (or Wand or Whatever they use, but I really don't want to know)

The title intrigued you right? If you are like me, you are thinking "what in the world?" Who is going under the knife/wand/whatever they use? Well, let me be the first to let you know that I am also thinking "what in the world have I agreed to?"

So since the little girl made her grand appearance in our lives some 3 1/2 years ago, she also brought something else to the family. Germs, germs (my invisible dog). And I guess when you are in your (cough) mid-thirties, your body decides to process germs a little different if you are blessed like I was. And so blessed was I with these said germs, that they've continually invaded my tonsils, to the point of making them so large and inflamed (you can say it, ewww, gross) that they "could" cut off my airway. Now I don't know about you, but I would prefer to keep breathing, thankyouverymuch. I've got a little girl whom I adore and want to parent for a long time (well until she's all grown up, you know), and I'm believing that we'll be blessed with another one at some point too, so breathing is a necessity in my book.


So tomorrow, around 9:30 or so (we have to be at the hospital at 8:30), I'll be the adult who is getting her tonsils out. Oh yea. (Cue the saddest song you can find....) I'm not particularly thrilled with this whole "surgery" thing. Last surgery I had was of the emergency variety (Dec 5th, 2005, right after a fabulous SS Christmas party, I might say) so I didn't have time to think about it. This one has been planned for a few weeks, so my mind is getting the best of my nerves right now. My ENT (love her and her PA) both said the surgery is the easy part, the recovery is awful if you are an adult. Can't say that really encouraged me to go through with this. So, I've spent the morning purchasing all manners of prescription medications, 4 flavors of ice cream, fruit popsicles, chobani yogurt (because I hear it has protein), and other yogurt. I'll be on a liquid diet for around 2 weeks, which is about the total recovery time. Only cold things to drinks, and my PA recommended getting a bag of Sonic ice to chew on/swallow so that I could numb my throat and still get liquids in. I have to drink at least 75 fluid ounces of liquids a day so that I don't get dehydrated....for someone that isn't going to want to swallow at all, all these pills and drinking 75 ounces a day should make me a cranky momma. Micayla doesn't know what in the world will be happening, except that she has playdates every day this week, so she'll think this is the best week of her life. Hudson is taking off work the remainder of the week to take care of me (I'll be on some pretty strong drugs because of the pain), so say a prayer for him as he is full-time parent, full-time nurse, full-time student (he's got a big paper due soon), and still trying to work from home. And say a prayer for me too--that the procedure would go without complication, and that the recovery won't be as bad as everyone says that it will.

I'll update when I can (and I think Hudson will be updating my FB too)....

In other news, my youngest sister, Lesli, is going through her own(good) pain too after giving birth at home on Saturday (March 17th) to baby Quin (Quinton Everett)....Micayla and I fly out in a month so that I can snuggle that precious baby boy. He was 8 lbs, 9 oz, and she and baby are good. So proud of her!!! (Though she keeps telling me she'll never do it again....) :)



3 comments:

Sean and Lendy said...

Oh my friend...you're in for a ride. I had my tonsils out when I was 29 and the recovery isn't easy. I lived on popsicles and water. Sean would put the posicles in the microwave for about 15 sec and make them slush. The idea to get sonic ice is great. Make sure you stay on top of your pain meds...even if you don't think you need them. The pain can sneak up on you. I'll be praying for you!

Barb said...

Will be praying for surgery and your recovery, and Hudson. Keep us posted on how you're doing. And congrats on the new nephew!

Unknown said...

Will definitely say a prayer for you for an easy procedure and a supernaturally fast recovery!