Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Random Thoughts


I have nothing concrete to write about, but did think I would post a few random things just to make everyone smile.

1. Are people more inconsiderate nowadays? I want to hold out hope that manners are still being taught out there (in fact, my niece Kathryn, attended "charm school" this summer, so I know it is still being taught). But seriously, one would think that a middle aged man would have manners still (maybe his mother didn't teach him well?). I had to get an oil change in the car the other day, and so headed to Walmart hoping that it wouldn't be 2 or 3 hours before they could get my car finished. I got there, got my car in line, found out it would take about an hour (which isn't too bad), got the stroller out, left keys in car, headed to the door inside the Tire & Lube area with Micayla asleep, in her car seat, in the stroller. Now, for those of you who know these doors, they aren't the most "mom" friendly. If you are on the inside, they "buzz" it to let you out. If you are the outside, you have to push the door in. So, I grab the stroller with one hand, begin pushing the door with the other hand, and....the turn is a little too tight for the stroller, so I hit the door frame on the far side. While trying to continue to keep the door open (which isn't light, and continually wants to close), I'm pulling the stroller back and forth to get through the doorway. Now, most people, including myself, would grab the door for the poor woman is struggling to get her stroller through the door, and help out. Did that happen? No, not at all. In fact, a middle aged man just stared at me as I tried to get the stroller through the door, and I think, even rolled his eyes at me. Oh well, I did make it through the door eventually, but Micayla woke up from my running into the door frame. Thankfully she was pleasant for the remainder of the hour we wandered Walmart. Oh, and I did get one good thing out of the trip (aside from the oil change)...with a gift card for my upcoming birthday, I purchased Chris Tomlin's Hello Love cd. I listened to it the other day, and it was great. So refreshing for a sad heart.

2. Can I say how much I enjoy my Moby wrap? Micayla loves being in it, and I've enjoyed the time she and I have together while I'm wearing her. She falls asleep almost each time that she's in it for a while, which allows me to get some things done (mainly the ironing.) Today, Tucker needed dog food, and I had a $5 coupon off at Petsmart that expired today, and Tucker needed to have his nails trimmed. I visualized how this was going to happen first: Tucker, on leash, pulling at every dog he saw while walked in, while I'm pushing the stroller with Micayla. Not too bad--I thought I could handle it. But, then I thought, where will I put the dog food? It can't go in the stroller (we buy a large bag to last us a while), and I couldn't see myself pushing Micayla's stroller, having Tucker on the leash, and pushing a cart with dog food. So, before we ever left the house, I went ahead and put on the Moby, and then drove to Petsmart, got in the backseat of the car to get Micayla out, put her into the Moby, and got Tucker. Success! I still had to have help getting the dog food into the cart, and into my car, but the Petsmart people were friendly enough to put it into the cart and car for me. While Tucker was in the grooming area, we walked to Target and got our few groceries that were needed, along with some cough drops and Target brand Nyquil. Hudson and I both have bad colds again, so he's trying to sleep through the night with help from fake Nyquil. Back to Petsmart to pick up Tucker, and then home. I got a few glances from people wondering what the black thing around my torso was, until they saw Micayla's head sticking out. Wish I had invented the Moby. :)

3. Micayla is growing--I don't know how much she weighs, or how long she is, but I do know that the 0-3 mo. sleep n' plays from Target that she fits into, are now too short for her. This, of course, is a problem because they are her footed pj's, so her being too long makes a difference. Now, the pj's are too big everywhere else, except in length. Not sure what to do, except move up to the 3-6 mo., but they will swallow her. I'm sure I'll figure something out. She's smiling at us now, especially when we smile at her. She mimics our tones, which I love listening to. She's trying to figure out how to laugh, so it's really breathy sounding, but no actual sound to it. She'll be 2 months next week, which is hard to believe.

4. I'm trying to write "Micayla's story," which is really the story of how we came to choose adoption, and how we came to receive Micayla. Once it's done, I'll post it here for your reading pleasure. Don't hold me to a time frame though! :) Oh, and the picture shows how the two "kids" like to spend their naps together---each takes an end of the couch, Tucker almost always sleeps with his favorite green ball nearby, and Micayla sleeps propped up in the Boppy. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: