Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thinking Pink


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and most people will see a plethora of pink this month in honor of it. My family has been directly affected by breast cancer--my mom was diagnosed approximately 8 years ago. She survived the surgery, the chemo, and the radiation that came with her stage 4 diagnosis. She made it through and we felt that God really allowed us to experience a miracle because the cancer was so bad. Since April of this year, we've been faced with the return of her cancer, and the news hasn't been good. Unfortunately, our family is facing difficult times ahead as the cancer isn't relenting itself to the numerous chemotherapies that my mom has tried. Please keep her (Carol) in your prayers, as well as our family as we navigate the weeks ahead. Hospice has been called, and though I won't be there, our family will be meeting with them in the days ahead to make sure that my mom has the absolute best care. I never dreamed that the year I became a mom would be the year I would likely lose mine, which is an overwhelming thought if I allow myself to dwell on it too much.

The main reason I tell you all of this is to say--please support breast cancer research. Moms (like mine), daughters, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, etc., deserve to have a chance at life---40,000 women this year will die from breast cancer. Wear pink this month in honor of breast cancer awareness. Early detection is crucial--so do your self-examinations each month. Pray for those doctors and scientists that are working in the field to determine the causes of breast cancer (and other cancers)...pray that they would have wisdom, and that all glory of found research would be given back to the Creator who allowed it to become known.

As an advocate for my mom, let me say "thanks" to those of you that have supported research in the past...my sisters (Lisa, Lesli) and I are grateful for the 8 years that we've had with our mom thanks due to the new medications that came out in the last decade to treat breast cancer.

2 comments:

Sara S. said...

Praying hard for your your mom and your family. I can't imagine how proud she must be of you.

Barb said...

Well said, LeAnn. I'm praying for you and your whole family.