Monday, June 8, 2009

Oh the Joys of Buying a Vehicle...

So we're in the midst of considering making a big purchase for our family--thankfully, we're not at a point of "absolutely have to purchase this week" because my car is still working. However, it is 11 years old, and has 130,000 miles, and the antilock brake system computer went out a month or so ago. Since we use my SUV for our long road trips, it's only fair that we start considering what to replace Lexi with. (Yes, I named my car...LeAnn's Expedition, otherwise known as Lexi.) She's been a faithful car, and I will cry the day we trade her in. I've had her since she was brand new, and likely, she'll be the only "new" car I own for quite some time.

Anyways, as we think and research our next car purchase, we've begun consulting Consumer Reports, our budget, others, etc. Of course we're praying about what to buy as well---but I thought I would ask for everyone else's opinion as well. We're certain that it has to be one of two possibilities--either an SUV or a minivan. With family (i.e. my sisters) that come to visit at least once a year, we need at least one of our vehicles to have the ability to pick their families up, even if it only means that one of us goes to the airport to get them. We know that we won't be able to all ride together in one vehicle for travelling around town, but at least not having to take two cars to the airport would be helpful. We're partial to the SUV since we've been accustomed to mine, but the budget, well, it just doesn't allow for the full size SUV that we currently own. There are quite a few of the midsize SUV's that have a third row seat that would allow us to seat 6 or 7, which would be good. (Lisa's family has 4, Lesli's family will have 3 come September!). We also know that we want our family to increase in size in the future as well, so while fitting the three of us right now into a small SUV isn't a big deal, it could be if we are able to add 1 or 2 more to our family. (Oh, and don't forget a space on the floor for the dog.)

One thing we appreciated about my SUV last September was when we were evacuating Hurricane Ike. Micayla (then 2 weeks old), her pack n' play, stroller, cooler, Tucker, his food, our important files (okay, we admit that we just put the whole 2 door filing cabinet in my car just in case our house was destroyed), luggage, etc. all fit in my car without a problem. It really made life easy for us when stressed with having a newborn and evacuating a major hurricane.

I feel like I am ranting right now, just fyi. Anyways, we've been visiting Carmax often, to just get a feel of multiple types of vehicles, and not feel pressured to purchase anything. It has really been helpful to go there and be able to look at 10 different types of midsize SUVs, as well as 4 or 5 different types of minivans. So, I'm just curious what you think about purchasing a vehicle. This is our first time to buy a car, so we admit we are naive and inexperienced. We've test driven a few different ones at various dealerships, and can already write off a couple of dealerships because frankly, their high pressure sales tactics are enough for us to never go back. (I'll be the first to admit though, that I could never be a car salesman.) Let me know your advice, how you would make a decision about an suv or a minivan, etc. We'll take all we can get! Thanks in advance!

6 comments:

Haley said...

Well, when we had to buy a new-to-us car at the first of the year (ya know, because Ryan totaled his car), we found that minivans were more expensive than SUVs. We were looking for something with a third row seat, but just couldn't find it. We ended up finding a "friend" that goes to car auctions and were able to buy our SUV for about $4000 less than what we could have gotten it for at Carmax. So, my advice is to ask around if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone that buys cars from auctions.
Good luck! Buying a car is the WORST!!!

Stephanie said...

I am not sure I'll be much help since we haven't purchased a car together either, though we will at the end of the year. We opted for a minivan since you can seat 8, and they get better gas mileage than most SUVs. Our plan is to get a Toyota Sienna. You might want to check that carseats can be put in the 3rd row of a smaller SUV. For some reason I am not sure you can.

jennifer said...

we have a toyota sienna and I love it! we also took out the middle chair in the second row so that I can get around to the back if we need to. Still seats 7 total so it is great when family come in. Never thought I would like a minivan :)

Tanya said...

We bought a 2002 Honda Odyssey from Car Max the month before Kaitlyn (our second) was born. We have been extremely happy with the van (as well as our experience with Car Max). I love that the third seat fits down into the back "well-thingy." On going around town, I often leave that down and that gives me lots of room for stuff. The newer models are even better at that...but the 2002 was all that we could afford. You pay a little more for the Honda than you might a domestic, but you can go farther back in years and get "better" features. At least that is what we found.

Barb said...

Well, I happen to LOVE my Mazda Tribute, but it's not a mid-size. But Mazda does have the CX-9 (or something like that). I drove it and really liked it too. My parents drive a Honda Pilot, which does have the possible 3rd row seating. It's quite roomy and comfortable, and Hondas are great cars for the long haul (no pun intended). :) Hope you find something soon.

Oh, and I too name my cars. I've had Dusty, Dusty Junior, George, and now Bear (because it's crimson and thus named after Bear Bryant).

Melissa said...

Not exactly experienced myself, but David Hutchison at SWBTS was a car salesman at one point. He might have some good pointers for you guys.