Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hurricane Ike and a Cold.


One of my friends, Stephanie, sent me an email saying "I don't like Ike!" I wholeheartedly agree. I know that we live in an area that is prone to hurricanes, but I really wish all hurricanes would hit some uninhabited island and just cease to exist. So far, my wish hasn't come true. The day we before we brought Micayla home, we had to think through evacuating because of Hurricane Gustav. Thankfully, Gustav didn't hit us, but it did wreck havoc on Baton Rouge. Today, she's 12 days old and we're having to think through this again. To evacuate or not?


It is such a hard decision since weather is so unpredictable. If we leave, how soon do you leave to beat all the other 4 million people trying to evacuate? And if you wait, you run the risk of being stuck in traffic for 20+ hours going nowhere. Frankly, I'd rather batten down the hatches and stay at home than be stuck in my car for 20 hours. With a newborn and a dog. If we stay, then we run the risk of being without electricity, running water, high winds, etc. So, all of this to say, we still haven't made a decision. We live on a street where most of our residents have been through this a time or two before. During Hurricane Allison, though flooding was huge problem, our street only flooded to the curb. Our neighbors also really live up to the phrase of "neighbors helping neighbors." Several have offered to help Hudson put up plywood on our windows, or watch our home if we decide to leave. Hudson was wondering how he would get a huge sheet of plywood onto our second story windows, since he knew he couldn't lift it and climb a ladder at the same time. Luckily, most of the men go from house to house boarding up windows and help each other out. I'm sure glad about this, because trying to figure out to watch Micayla and help Hudson at the same time was seeming a little difficult. Enough about hurricanes...I'm just praying that it will slow down and not cause as much damage to any place it lands. Go away Ike!


Onto the other news--I have come down with a cold/bronchitis. I'm not sure where it came from, but I do know that I slept for a total of 1 hour last night, and that was mostly due to my constant coughing, not Micayla waking up to be fed. I really don't like being sick, and the "tough" part of me says, just wait it out and you'll get better. Except that I now have a 12-day-old daughter, and I can't risk her getting this, especially while a hurricane is looming ahead. So, I'm headed to the doctor to see if there's anything that I could get to a) make me feel better b) stop my constant coughing and c) make sure that I'm not infectious. With Hudson working again, I have no option but to pick up and hold Micayla and try not to breathe on her. What's a new mom to do? (Note to Dawn: again, still don't have everything together like someone else we know. :) )


The good news from this very long post: we had a baby shower yesterday and it was so nice. We got several things (yea Diaper Champ!, yea bottle drying rack!, yea cute clothes!, yea Boppy!) that we had been "holding out" for since we knew we were going to have a couple of showers thrown for us. Micayla slept through the whole thing. I hope she sleeps through my doctor's appointment today. :) Must head out in a few, and lunch is calling. Oh, and another picture just because we're so excited about our pretty little girl. Until next time....
****UPDATE: Apparently I have strep throat. The doctor blamed Hudson (since he felt bad first), but gave me an rx for a z-pack, and gave me some signs to watch for in Micayla's health so that we could be "on top of things" if she starts to get sick. I haven't watched the weather lately regarding Ike, but my sister continues to inform me through weather alerts that she has sent to her cell phone. Mind you, she lives 12 hours away from me, and is not in any threat of being attacked by a hurricane, but she's informed!


No comments: